Monday, June 9, 2014

31. Escalloniaceae

Photo: Escallonia.In contrast to major, sprawling families like Ericaceae are many small ones that, for me, are "one plant families". Such is the case with Escalloniaceae. These natives of the southern hemisphere comprise seven genera, only one of which I have crossed paths with -- Escallonia. So although this family includes over a hundred different species and many varieties, I think of it as a "one plant family".

Escallonia is a shrub that is widely used in California for hedges. Due to its density, it makes a good privacy hedge. But really it is everywhere. It is one of those very common ornamental plants that barely registers in the consciousness of the average person. I was one of those people until the day I learned the identity of this pleasant but unremarkable shrub with pretty pink flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment