Thursday, February 5, 2015

51. Pinaceae

The property I grew up on had rows of hemlock trees, Tsuga canadensis, on either end. These tall trees, over one hundred feet in maturity, were my earliest introduction to pines. Sometimes while reclining on the chaise longue and reading a book a hemlock needle would fall into my tea. Fortunately this is a completely different plant from Poison Hemlock, Conium maculatum, which belongs to the Apiaceae family. For me, the eastern hemlocks I grew up with embody the spirit of that place. They look majestic in any season, but perhaps especially in the snow (above).
A good west coast pine I became acquainted with is the gray pine, Pinus sabiana. While not quite as tall as eastern hemlocks, they produce enormous pine cones the size of mature pineapples (whereas, humorously, the hemlocks produce pine cones the size of small grapes). The other striking features of this tree are the color --  very muted, hence the name -- and the odd angles they grow on slopes and mountains that lend them a sort of oriental air (visible above center and scattered on slopes).

No comments:

Post a Comment