Sunday, March 1, 2015

57. Polygonaceae

Polygonaceae is definitely an interesting family. Among its other names are buckwheat, knotweed and smartweed. The family includes approximately 1200 species within approximately 50 genera. Distribution is worldwide, with representatives found in both tropical and temperate climates. Perhaps the best known is buckwheat -- Fagopyrum in the Old World and Eriogonum in the New.
Two species stand out in my memory. The first, seen here, is commonly known as sea grape, and scientifically as Coccoloba uvifera. This American native is found on coastlines throughout the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. Its striking, round leaves make quite an impression. I took these photos one sunny January day in Port Aransas, TX. I had encountered them previously on beaches in the Mexican Caribbean, and possibly Florida, where the grapes are made into and popularly sold as jelly.
The other memorable species is mile-a-minute weed, Persicaria perfoliata. I was surveying the land behind my parents' land in New York when I discovered the strange, triangular leaves seen below growing over some other shrubs. Close inspection revealed sinister-looking barbed vines. I was not at all surprised to learn that this is an invasive Asian import, probably recently introduced, as I have no memory of seeing it in all the years of exploring this land. The weed was supposedly introduced into Oregon, Maryland and Pennsylvania, with the latter's York County generally recognized as the epicenter of the current infestation.

No comments:

Post a Comment