Sunday, May 31, 2015

67. Scrophulariaceae

With a name like Scrophulariaceae and a total of over 5000 species, one might imagine that one is in for a wild ride, botanically speaking. In fact it's a somewhat mild ride. At one time the family was much larger and encompassed such notable flowers as Antirrhinum (snapdragons), Digitalis (foxglove), Penstemon, Pawlonia, Veronica, and Hebe -- to name a few. The vast majority of these got sent to the Plantaginaceae family due to the phylogenetic studies of the APG.

Among what remains is Verbascum (mullein), Buddleja (butterfly bush), and Myoporum. I mention these in part because I am familiar with them. Mulleins are very distinctive with large velvety leaves and stalks bolting high out of the ground. I remember my mother bringing them to my attention on Shelter Island, where they flourished as weeds around the marina. Like many weeds, Verbascum is reputed to have medicinal value.
The other two were brought to my attention while working in California. Buddleja (above) is commonly known as butterfly bush, due to its relationship with various pollinators. This photo was actually taken in Louisiana, where it also flourishes. Buddleja grows throughout the world, with many species native to the Americas. In contrast, Myoporum is more a creature of the south Pacific. Despite that fact, the shrubs are widely used in California for landscaping. Below, an example of the beautiful flowers I used to ponder till I finally learned what they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment