Tuesday, March 25, 2014

10. Araucariaceae

Araucariaceae is a family of very interesting and exotic-looking trees, my favorite being the monkey puzzle (Araucaria araucana). With a name like that, you know you have entered interesting territory. Despite being so exotic, my first encounter with a monkey puzzle tree was actually on Shelter Island, NY - a far cry from its native Chile. There was also one at Old Westbury Gardens which I only recall from photographs. Both of these New York monkey puzzle trees were small and eventually died, probably because the climate there is not ideal.

Under better conditions araucarians become very tall, as much as 200 feet. They are also very ancient trees, coexisting with the dinosaurs. In those days they grew throughout the world, but in our times they are native to the Southern Hemisphere. New Zealand's kauri tree (Agathis australis) is among the largest conifers, surpassed only by the redwood and giant sequoia.

When I lived in southern California, I was surrounded by more araucarians than I have ever seen. In addition to monkey puzzles, I noticed lots of Norfolk Island Pines (Araucaria heterophylla), with its distinctly geometric structure. The above tree, photographed while on a bike ride in Tustin, CA, is either a monkey puzzle or bunya-bunya (Araucaria bidwillii) or some other closely related species. At the moment it's above my paygrade to tell them apart, but if someone would like to step forward and train me, I'm not stopping them.

No comments:

Post a Comment