Thursday, March 6, 2014

5. Amaranthaceae

This is a commercially important family, especially now with the surging popularity of quinoa - Chenopodium quinoa. Prior to this current surge, my brother Paul once presented me with a grain called "amaranth" that is supposed to be very healthy. That may be true, but the cereal itself was quite bland. 

My introduction to the plants of this family occurred in the Salinas Valley. I was driving through the city of Greenfield and was struck by some very exotic-looking plants that I later learned go by the name "love-lies-bleeding".  This was Amaranthus caudatus, grown for food in South America, and also making a striking garden ornamental. 

Another, very different member of this family is present in the Salinas Valley: Kali tragus, a.k.a. "Russian thistle" or simply, tumbleweed. These comically large spheres bounce down streets spreading their seed, and then pile up in huge masses against a wall or fence.

The family formerly known as Chenopodiaceae - the goosefoot family - is now a subfamily of the Amaranthaceae.

2 comments:

  1. I still like amaranth and it's blandness! As for quinoa, I'm sure you've heard about how it's become prohibitively expensive to South American populations who depend on it as a cheap and healthy food. As for Love Lies Bleeding, now we know where Elton John got his inspiration for his early song (perhaps during a trip to california?)

    Like this blog a lot Pete. Could definitely benefit from more images. We want to see what these plants look like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post photos when they are available; otherwise I sort of like the idea of brutally unillustrated survey of plants - bland like amaranth!

    ReplyDelete