Tuesday, April 29, 2014

15. Berberidaceae

Nandina is a common ornamental shrub in California that does very little for me emotionally. Not that there's anything wrong with it, apart from being ugly and poisonous; it's just that nothing about this plant really knocks my socks off. It is however the species of this family that has been the most "in my face". 

Even though it is not related to bamboo, its common names are heavenly bamboo and sacred bamboo. Probably if I saw it in its natural habitat in Asia, it would appear to me more heavenly.

Be that as it may, Nandina is not the flagship species of the Berberidaceae family. That distinction goes to the better known Barberry, Berberis vulgaris. Barberry is a shrub with small, bright red-orange berries that has also been in my face, although more from a distance, for most of my life.

Berberidaceae is a small family comprised of 15 genera and less than 600 species. Along with Nandina and Berberis, another notable genus is Vancouveria, also known as inside-out flower. Look it up, the flowers really are inside-out.

2 comments:

  1. What? No photo of the inside out flower? And how can a plant with common names so beautiful as heavenly bamboo and sacred bamboo not knock your socks off? I need a photo of this one too to see if it knocks MY socks off. They are on and waiting for the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see if your socks go flying off.

    ReplyDelete