Thursday, May 1, 2014

16. Betulaceae

What can I say about paperbark birch trees (Betula papyrifera)? I grew up with them. There was one right in front of my parents house. Like every dumb kid, I impulsively stripped the bark off the trunk for my amusement. I may have even written things on it. To my Dad's credit, he set me straight on the consequences of perpetrating such violence on the skin of a tree. Thank you Dad, and sorry Mr. birch tree. Happily, Mr. birch tree lives on to this day!

Betulaceae, sometimes known as the birch family, also includes hornbeams, hazels, and alders. It is a tiny family containing less that 200 species. Along with birch trees, the best known members are probably the hazels Corylus avellana and Corylus maxima, from which we get hazelnuts and filberts respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment